Wenzel Periodontics and Dental Implants is a full scope periodontics practice. I specialize in treating disease of the gums and other structures supporting teeth, both medicinally and surgically. I also have extensive education and training in the fields of dental implant placement, bone grafting, sinus augmentation, and interdisciplinary treatment planning.
Brent A Wenzel, DDS, MS
Dr. Wenzel obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in biology from the University of Kansas. Following, he graduated from University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry with a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree in 2006.
Seeking greater experience and technical skill, Dr. Wenzel earned a General Practice residency certificate from Truman Medical Centers in Kansas City and then attended a three year Periodontics residency at the prestigious Medical College of Georgia. Here Dr. Wenzel gained tremendous clinical experience with gum disease, dental implants and intra-oral plastic surgery. He also participated in the elective Master of Science degree program earning a first place award from the International Association of Dental Research and the MCG-School of Graduate Studies “Excellence in Research Award” for his research and presentations given at regional and national levels. Dr. Wenzel has numerous publications in dental journals, and a diverse research and teaching background.
Dr. Wenzel is a Board Certified periodontist. A Diplomate is a periodontist who has made significant achievements beyond the mandatory educational requirements of the specialty and who is certified by the American Board of Periodontology.
To be educationally qualified for Board certification requires:
- Certification as a dentist, including basic college education and completion of dental school to earn the D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree and;
- Certification as a periodontist after successful completion of an educational program in Periodontology, which is accredited by Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
- Comprehensive qualifying and oral examination covering all phases of periodontal disease and its treatment, including dental implants.
- Recertification every six years.
He is a member of the following organizations:
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Midwest Society of Periodontology
- Academy of Osseointegration
- American Dental Association
- Kansas Dental Association
- Fifth District Dental Society
- University of Kansas Alumni Association
- Alpha Kappa Lambda Fraternity Alumni
In his free time, Dr. Wenzel’s focus is family. He also enjoys running, hunting, fishing, and KU sports.